On my second day at work, I was given a task to coordinate a Ramadhan Charity at Afghanistan in a remote village called Herat. I was excited and waited for my boss’ decision to send me there to assist the team in providing food and drinks for Iftar to the poor villagers in the rural area, unwittingly thinking that it would be an experience hence my change of job, field and career path.
Anticipating a decision, I was disappointed to learn that the Charity has been canceled due to time restraint. We were given a week to kick off the charity.
On 7th September P.Guna from The Star wrote an article titled “Put Safety First in Aid Mission” on learning from the unfortunate experience in Somalia where a BernamaTV cameraman was shot while delivering aid to Somalia.
Somalia being a famine country, with gunmen marauding to numerous warlords is a very risky place to be. P. Guna said to imagine the logistic nightmare and that The Putera 1Malaysia Club should note on how to get the food to the right location from the airport, how do we know the people who needs it, how are we certain the safety the people distributing the food before sending a humanitarian contingent to deliver the aid to Somalia, a contingent which included 18 journalist.
I was sad to even know that before the grief and anger over the death of Noramfaizul has abated, the club president wants to return to the war-thorn area next month.
No reason to be hasty after a mistake that is how I see it. P.Guna also mentioned that it is still too early and this is not the time for bravado and reactions. In another word, this is not a damn joyride.
The club rushed doing the charity and brought 18 journalists who are not trained without experience of doing charities like this, into a war zone to get a good media coverage.
During my times in the media, media junkets are what most of us look forward too. A free trip with everything paid for. In this case, when the club invites a media to the scene, who doesn’t want to go? All you need to give in return is coverage. And with the benefits a media get? Venturing Somalia where not many people could go. Duh easy peasy.
STUPID.
After reading the article I thought of the Ramadhan Charity at Hared that I was assigned to coordinate. My boss did mention to me that he doesn’t think it’s a good idea to send me, a girl, there. Now, I am actually glad that it didn’t happen.
I read through the emails and thought to myself, P.Guna was right.” Imagine the logistic nightmare”. It was said that we will need to land at Kabul and from there to travel to Hared. Trust me, if you were to read the details you’d have MANY I say MANY to ask. Everything wasn’t clear as the replies from the consultant suggesting the damn charity wasn’t giving solid answers. It’s all “I think, if I’m not mistaken, according to..” No certain answers that could comfort us to proceed with a plan. Oh did I mention that our time line was tight as the fish’s ass? Kwayzie I tell yew…
“If charity is the aim – and it should be- then the paramount consideration is to get as much aid as possible to starving people in Somalia in the most EFFICIENT and EFFECTIVE manner possible with as little danger as possible” said P.Guna
Now people misinterpret when publicity is necessary. Publicity on CSR should carry a motive to create awareness to people when disaster strikes and to induce others to more charity from the wider public.
A simple charity that i think induces people to do good is this one
I can bet that many organization or clubs or people didn’t even think of this as they think that coverage on doing good reflects a good reputation and that’s what everyone is chasing. It is true,doing good is a good reputation however, the way you make people watch it or the way you deliver the message should be in a right manner.
CSR is now a trend or a tool for crisis management in an organization, a tool for branding and a lame way to show off. That is what I think.
Bersamamu on Tv3 is a good show to make people in the urban areas realize how lucky they are until the huge cheque comes out in the end of the show. What a big turn off.
“When charity is done quietly behind the scenes and efficiently by people who know what it’s about and are prepared to forego their comfort, incomes and egos to do a job – then much can be done”
There are many organizations or clubs out there doing it in the down low and I have to say Thank You for that. Sincere actions from these people make the job done. God bless you all.
After weeks of gloomy weather, finally today I can see the sun again. Happy Malaysian Day to all.
Whenninaspeaks:
once dad told me "nothing beats the joy of giving"



No comments:
Post a Comment